Saturday, January 11, 2020

Off to a Great Start in 2020!

     I started out the year on a positive note! 

A Couple of Finishes...


 I finished a UFO that I  had on my list for awhile.   "Spring" is the last of 4 seasonal projects with embroidery by Crab-Apple Hill.   

  
Spring -  Finished!  


I also finished one of my #2's from my APQ UFO challenge.  This one is a lap quilt for our guild's Comforting Quilts Program.  I'm hoping to finish at least one a month.  These were stars from a Block Lotto when I hosted a Color Wheel Tour Block of the Month for our guild back in 2014.    I'm hoping it can cheer someone up while keeping them warm. 

Quilting close-up detail

Stars on Black - 43" x 43"


A new challenge start!  

 My small hand stitching group decided to do a challenge for our quilt show in March.   Hand stitched,  something with the color orange, which was chosen out of a hat..... and smaller than a Fat Quarter.  

I chose to do a Monarch Butterfly on milkweed.  

this is my inspiration photo.... found in google images, so I'm sorry but there was no credit given to the photographer. 

Inspiration photo 


I had a fat quarter of a text fabric, which I dyed green.    Then I used some orange marbled cotton, and using fusible web I fused two layers together...  Reverse applique with black wool over it and then embroidery to finish the butterfly.   It will sit on top of the milkweed as a dimensional item when done. I plan on adding more body details over the wings when I attach it to the flower. 

Butterfly - approx 9" across wing span. 

I'm using a variety of variegated threads to embroider the milkweed flower. 

Here is my progress on the embroidery so far...  trying to use my threads that are not as  expensive under the butterfly... so that is where i started.   

                                     Embroidery progress to date

With the butterfly in place...  I am tickled with the way it's coming along!   Since I'm our show chair,  i need to get this finished in the next few weeks, because things get really crazy as the show approaches. 

                               A general idea of how the butterfly will sit when done. 

  



No comments:

Post a Comment