Wednesday, August 15, 2018

70, 273 Project and a Machine Update

     Ruby,  my Janome 7700 is still waiting for parts at the "spa". Turns out she needs a new "mother board"!  She was new in December of 2011, so isn't all that old...   It's been well over 5 weeks now, but after limping along on the backup machine with very limited features for 4 weeks,  I whined just a bit to the dealer, and was given an upgrade of a Janome 8900 to use as a loaner.   




     This means that I've finally been able to do some actual Quilting, instead of piecing. Believe me,  I don't need to piece any more tops right now,  I have so many waiting for their quilting to happen.  

      While  quilting on the loaner this weekend, I see that the newer model has worked out many of the  little issues that the 7700 has.  New machine?  I'm not totally sold yet, but a seed has been planted.  

     One thing I have been working on while Ruby has been away is the 70,273 Project.   If you have not heard of this, you need to check out the links below and find out more about this human atrocity.   

the 70,273 Project itself

Historical information


     As a Special Education teacher,  this project grabbed my heart and won't let go.   I pledged to make a block for each of the students I've had over the last 18 plus years, thinking the number would be about 125,  only to do an actual count and it is upwards of 225.   

     I'm still stitching blocks, but I did get one quilt top assembled that commemorates 60 lives lost during the early years of WWII.   The blocks with the green are blocks that were made by some of my students this past year.  



       I have nearly enough blocks done to make a second top finished.  The ribbon and string blocks go together quickly,  but I want a mix of media in each quilt, and the embroidery blocks take a bit longer... and I need to get the paint and stamps back out as well. 

      I'm also working on a "Midling"  which will be about the size of a fat quarter, which is on my design wall waiting for the next level of inspiration.    I am embroidering on a vintage damask tablecloth.  I love the way the damask adds texture to the background. 
 If you haven't checked out the links above yet,  each pair of   XX commemorate one soul. 




No comments:

Post a Comment