Sunday, September 23, 2018

A Delicate Flower


     My husband, Mike, named this quilt. " A Delicate Flower" .    It has been bound, labeled and delivered.    This quilt is for a friend of ours....   You can read about the one I made her husband in the next blog post. 








  

     I've been following some blogs and watching videos on free motion quilting this summer.  I jumped in on the paisley design in the center.   Here is a closer picture of the back... which is a solid color, showing the quilting a little better. 



     This is my first attempt to quilt this design on a quilt, without using a stencil or tracing it onto golden threads paper and then stitching and tearing.   Doing it freehand took a while.  It's definitely not perfect, especially my stitch length consistency (or lack of).   

     The pattern is so dense, that it really left me with some decisions about how to do the border.  I've never quilted a quilt this heavily.  In fact... I wound a total of 20 bobbins for this quilt and have less than 1 left.  I would say that I average 7 - 10 bobbins per most quilts.  


    Oh, yeah.. the borders.  I needed something that would be equally as dense to keep everything flat.  I purchased some Westalee quilting rulers at our quilt show in May, but had not yet tried them out.  Perfect opportunity.... two new skills at  once.  



     The templates are very versatile.  They are the concentric circles.  A set of 4 that allow for quilting as close together as a quarter of an inch, to any increment you want, really... but at 1/4" , 1/2", 3/4" or 1" apart.   There are many more options rather than just concentric circles... overlapping circular motifs... Baptist Fans... which is the reason they caught my attention in the first place.   I love the way they look on quilts. 

      The templates ride on a tack, and they rotate as needed as you stitch.  There are some tutorial videos on youtube.  tutorial video     And so many choices of templates and rulers on their website.    Now.... not cheap... but they are high quality and versatile.  My thinking is to get a few more sets that I can mix and match.   

No comments:

Post a Comment