Friday, December 28, 2012

Hearts Galore!

This little quilt is actually one of Jess's mystery designs from The Quilt and Needle  .  It was last
December's mystery quilt called "Foreshadowing" .   I chose to make the smaller quilt, since that is the size I normally gift to others.   I did add a top and bottom border to extend the size to my normal 45 x 60 approx size for youth.

This was a fun quilt to do... and Jess's designs are always fun to do.... I am always amazed at how her mind works to put blocks together.  

Hearts Galore 
I had purchased the two heart fabrics about 16 years ago, when my 17 year old granddaughter was just a baby.  I never did get her something made with this fabric.... so it got put to use with some bright fabrics that coordinated with the  prints.   This picture does not show how bright the prints are in real life... (my phone camera does not have a flash..)   Below is a picture of my fabrics before cutting.

 
I had the top completed  the weekend of the mystery last December, but its been waiting for a recipient before I started to quilt......   I used my Janome 7700 to quilt in the ditch to help set off the dimensional look of the fabrics being stacked.  Then kept with the heart theme to add more interest in the squares.  I alternated the hearts in the mid border region.... but it's hard to see, and then did a free motion  simple large stipple on the end borders. 
 
I love the backing fabric!  I found that on sale..... and it's a perfect fit for the top fabric, don't you agree?
 
This quilt is going to a 5 year old who is the granddaughter of a friend.  Her daddy has been clean and sober for almost 3 years now, and was just granted legal custody of her and her little brother.  Their mom is still struggling with treatmentt and drug abuse.    It only seemed right that these two darlings had something to snuggle with.  I'm so glad they get to live together again. * they've been separated for the last year.     My next post will have the quilt I made for her little brother.

2 comments:

  1. This quilt is beautiful! Will Jess be selling this pattern? I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It is available for $10.oo... in the shopping section of the website... look for the pattern "Foreshadowing".

    ReplyDelete